Sunday, August 31, 2008

Court date

As my girlfriend defaced a 100-year old structure in the gorgeous hills north of the Golden Gate Bridge, a park police officer stopped his SUV on the nearby road while looking in our direction.

This date just took a turn for the worse, I thought.

But, like most things lately in and around the Presidio Inn on Lake Street, the good times continued to roll.

The Giants scored enough runs to win Wednesday night. I took in the game at AT&T Park with Chris, the Inn's most recent guest, along with friend Jake and his bro and bro's wife. The sauerkraut Italian sausage was great, but the bun lacked moisture. Chris said the veggie dog was okay.

Me and babeskins and Chris and friends ate at Herbivore on Valencia St. on Thursday. We were exceptionally late, which the married couple didn't appreciate, though they had beers, and each other, so I don't see the big deal. I had the vegetable lasagna. It was a little spicy and the cheese (fake) was not really very creamy, unfortunately. But it was filling. Babeskins got the ravioli, again, spicy, but pretty filling and good. Food came quick. Chris's vanilla milkshake was good but i wouldn't pay 4 whatever for it, and it wasn't very thick. The salads were great. I'd probably go back there with other vegan eaters.

Finishing law school for the week, I settled in at the Inn on Saturday. Today, I went on a date. It started with an errand, taking back Legally Blonde and Borat to the video store (remember those?), and got better. Jamba Juice (Razzmatazz with soy for me) and then the Marin Headlands.

Skins and I had already exited the vehicle once in the Headlands, taking in the breathtaking views of the entire Bay Area. The second time we parked, we did so with the intent of checking out the outlying gun turrets and bunkers overlooking the Pacific Ocean's entrance to the Bay.

We got an unexpected history lesson after my GF wrote "I (heart) Pete" on the wall of a bunker.

"These are 100-year-old structures," the park trooper told us, and defacing them is a felony. He took our IDs to check our criminal histories, and asked us repeatedly whether we had weed, reefer, marijuana, or alcohol -- you know, "IPA, PBR," he said as I opened my trunk to be searched. If he weren't an officer of the law, I'd say he was jonesin'.

We didn't have any warrants out on us, the car checked out, and the marker was washable ink, meant for writing on windows.

"Have fun," the officer told us, as he handed the marker back.

And did we ever. We petted some horses, drove through a one-lane tunnel and then hit Sausalito's main drag. On the rocks near the bay, I did my best to give my girlfriend crabs. Those little suckers wouldn't sit still long enough for me to grab them, though.

The Bridgeway Cafe served us hamburgers, juicy with strong buns. The staff was friendly, and once the SUV moved, our sidewalk table had a great view of the sunny Bay.

A butterfly fluttered past us as we walked to my car. Stopping by the water's edge, not wanting the date to end, I tried once again to get crabs, but failed. Oh well, maybe next time.

3 comments:

Jon said...

poetry

Brittany O., the writer formerly known as FRANK said...

funny skins but i think it was the bridge way cafe. the street is called bridge way. i saw it on the map while you were taking a number 2 (poo and pee pee).

carol said...

:) cute