Monday, June 02, 2008

dumplings satisfy rumbling monster stomachs

My mom collects children's books. Not books that belonged to kids, but books meant for children. I liked the colorful pictures and creative story lines. I could talk for days about them.

As I ate dumplings tonight on Clement with Mona and Brittany, I remembered this Japanese story, The Old Woman Who Lost Her Dumpling. A talented dumpling entrepreneur chases a lost snack to the underworld. She is enslaved by monsters, who treat her well and love her food. Nonetheless, she misses home, and escapes by boat and magic paddle. Furious, the monsters drink the river to stop the old woman from rowing to freedom. You'll have to read the rest.

I also remembered Tikki Tikki Tembo, but I think the name is more memorable than the story.

2 comments:

carol said...

i remember the dumpling story! where did you go? mmm, i crave dumplings...

Pete said...

Taiwan Restaurant at 445 Clement St. They make dumplings from scratch and they're great! If you go, don't miss the aquarium store next door :)